Afrikaans name: Standerton
The town of Standerton was founded in 1878 and was named after Commandant Adrian Hendrik Stander who was a Boer leader and owner of the land on which the town was established.
The surrounding farmlands produce many agricultural products including maize, beef, dairy, groundnuts, potatoes and poultry. The town itself has many businesses and is the main commercial hub for a large area. Originally Standerton was on the main route between Johannesburg and KwaZulu-Natal but most of the traffic now follows the N3 highway through Harrismith
In 1982 construction of the Grootdraai Dam was completed. It is 10 km away from Standerton and is on the Vaal River.
There is a variety of accommodation available in the town include many bed and breakfast establishments.
References and further readingSouthern Africa from the Highway - Author: AA RSA - Published: 1991 - Page: 90
Readers Digest Illustrated Guide to Southern Africa - 4th edition - Author: - Published: 1986 - Page: 223
Conollys Guide to Southern Africa - 2nd edition - Author: Denis Conolly - Published: 1982 - Page: 269
On Route - A region by region guide to South Africa - Author: B.P.J. Erasmus - Published: 1995 - Page: 171
Book of the Road - 4th edition - Author: MapStudio - Published: 2019 - Page: 147