Afrikaans name: Ladysmith
Ladysmith was originally established in 1850 and was named Windsor. Later that year the name was changed to Ladysmith. It was named after Juana Maria de los Dolores de Leon Smith who was the wife of the Governer of Cape Colony Sir Harry Smith.
Industries in and around Ladysmith include farming, tyre manufacturing, textiles and food processing.Accommodation in Ladysmith
A number of historic events have taken place in Ladysmith and the surrounding areas. In 1899 there were a number of small battles between the English and Boer forces. This led to the siege of Ladysmith which lasted 118 days. The Boer siege was finally ended on 28th February 1900 when Sir Redvers Buller led a successful attack on the Boers.
There are a number of interesting cannons on display at the town hall.
The Klip River flows through Ladysmith and has a history of flooding. These annual floods have taken a number of lives and caused much damage over the years.
References and further readingBook of the Road - 4th edition - Author: MapStudio - Year Published: 2019 - Page: 128
Conolly's Guide to Southern Africa - Author: Denis Conolly - Year Published: 1982 - Page: 235
Farm Stall to Farm Stall - Author: Jennifer Stern - Year Published: 2014 - Page: 126
Guide to Sieges of South Africa - Author: Nicki von der Heyde - Year Published: 2017 - Page: 154
On Route - A region by region guide to South Africa - Author: B.P.J. Erasmus - Year Published: 1995 - Page: 156
Reader's Digest Illustrated Guide to Southern Africa - 4th edition - Author: - Year Published: 1986 - Page: 337
Southern Africa from the Highway - Author: AA RSA - Year Published: 1991 - Page: 88
The Pictorial Motoring Atlas of South Africa - Author: Maxwell Leigh - Year Published: 1987 - Page: 118
Things ewe never kn'ewe about South African place names - Author: Ann Gadd - Year Published: 2015 - Page: 125
Where to see Birds in KwaZulu-Natal - Author: Bennett and Herbert - Year Published: 1995 - Page: 65