Fort Amiel, Newcastle
Fort Amiel is a reconstruction of a spacious fort on the outskirts of Newcastle in KwaZulu-Natal. The fort was originally built in 1876 by the 80th Staffordshire Volunteers under the command of Major Charles Amiel, after whom the fort was named.
The fort sits on a low hill and has good views over the surrounding countryside including over the spot that was used as a wagon drift across the Ncandu River.
There are a number of buildings, exhibits and memorials at Fort Amiel. One of the most interesting is the reconstruction of the cookhouse.
Memorial to those who lost their lives in the vicinity
Officers room inside the museum
Display inside the kitchen