Afrikaans name: Delareyville
On the 7th March 1902 General Koos de la Rey inflicted a massive defeat on the British forces at Tweebosch. Years later a town was established 20 km away from Tweebosch and it was named Delareyville to commemorate the battle. There is a statue of General de la Rey in front of the town hall.
Originally the main activity in the area was salt production and the new town served as a base for the workers. Today the area around Delareyville is the second largest producer of maize in South Africa. The grain silo is the dominant feature in the town.
The salt pans nearby attract large numbers of flamingos in summer.
Barberspan, which is 16 km away, is a very popular birdwatching area.More than 350 species of birds have been recorded. The lake at Barberspan is also used for angling and watersports.
On Route - A region by region guide to South Africa - Author: B.P.J. Erasmus - Year Published: 1995 - Page: 212
Reader's Digest Illustrated Guide to Southern Africa - 4th edition - Author: - Year Published: 1986 - Page: 214
Southern Africa from the Highway - Author: AA RSA - Year Published: 1991 - Page: 162
The Pictorial Motoring Atlas of South Africa - Author: Maxwell Leigh - Year Published: 1987 - Page: 87