Moffat Mission near Kuruman
The Moffat Mission is situated near the town of Kuruman. The various buildings were built in the early 1800's and some were restored in 1938.
Although the original mission station was founded by Robert Hamilton and William Edwards it was Robert Moffat who was to have the biggest impact on the mission and the local people. Moffat arrived in 1820 and stayed there with his wife Mary, for 50 years.Accommodation in Kuruman
One of Moffat's achievements was to translate the complete Bible into Setswana and to print it. This was the first time that complete copies of the Bible had been printed in Africa.
Another famous person linked to the Moffat Mission is David Livingstone. Livingstone met Moffat's daughter Mary in Kuruman and married her in 1845. Livingstone stayed at the mission on his first visit to Africa and on his last trip to Kuruman.
Inside the church
The Litako Sun-dial which was made for the village of Litakoo which is now known as Dithakong
The original Moffat homestead
Inside the Moffat homestead
Livingstone's rooms in Hamilton House