Afrikaans name: Odendaalsrus
Odendaalsrus came into existence in 1912 to serve the farming community in the area. In 1946 the richest gold reef in the world was found in the vicinity which led to an immediate boom and many new people settling in the town.
The town is named after Jesaja Odendaal who owned the farm Kalkkuil on which the Dutch Reformed Church established a new parish in 1899. From there some residential plots were sold.
Today there are a number of gold mines around Odendaalsrus but there are plenty of farms as well. Maize is the main crop grown in the area but sorghum and wheat are also produced.
The town has a motor-racing circuit nearby and a gliding club.
Accommodation in Odendaalsrus consists of a few hotels and a caravan park.
References and further readingBook of the Road - 4th edition - Author: MapStudio - Year Published: 2019 - Page: 135
Conolly's Guide to Southern Africa - Author: Denis Conolly - Year Published: 1982 - Page: 331
On Route - A region by region guide to South Africa - Author: B.P.J. Erasmus - Year Published: 1995 - Page: 254
Reader's Digest Illustrated Guide to Southern Africa - 4th edition - Author: - Year Published: 1986 - Page: 294
Southern Africa from the Highway - Author: AA RSA - Year Published: 1991 - Page: 141
The Pictorial Motoring Atlas of South Africa - Author: Maxwell Leigh - Year Published: 1987 - Page: 104
Where to Watch Birds in Southern Africa - Author: A. Berruti and J.C. Sinclair - Year Published: 1983 - Page: 116