Richmond is a small town that is situated between Pietermaritzburg and Ixopo in KwaZulu-Natal.
In 1850 settlers from Richmond in England arrived and established the town which they initially named Beaulieu. These settlers were known as the "Byrne" settlers.
Richmond owes it existence to farming. The surrounding farms produce dairy products, timber, sugarcane and others.
Interesting buildings in the town include the Richmond Museum and the St. Mary’s Anglican Church.