Afrikaans name: Coligny
The town of Coligny, in the North West province, was founded in 1923 although it had already been in existence under the name of Treurfontein ("spring/well of sadness"). The town gets its current name from Gaspard de Coligny, a Huguenot leader, who was assassinated in France in 1572.
It is a small, quiet town with lots of character. The main purpose of the town was to service the railway lines which pass through here in various directions. The main rail route passing through town runs between Lichtenburg and Johannesburg.
There is much of interest for those who are keen on history although many of the places of historical interest have not been well preserved. The British Cemetery is approximately 2 km out of Coligny on the road to Lichtenburg. There used to be some blockhouses which have unfortunately been demolished.
The town is located in a large maize farming area. Besides the farming in the area there have been the odd times when diamond mining has taken place. It is located 27 km from Lichtenburg. The grain silo near the station was the first grain silo built in the North West province and is a fitting reminder that maize is now the most important product emanating from this area.Accommodation in Coligny
References and further readingOn Route - A region by region guide to South Africa - Author: B.P.J. Erasmus - Year Published: 1995 - Page: 213
Reader's Digest Illustrated Guide to Southern Africa - 4th edition - Author: - Year Published: 1986 - Page: 214
Southern Africa from the Highway - Author: AA RSA - Year Published: 1991 - Page: 163