Although the area around Port Elizabeth had been populated for hundreds of years it was Sir Rufane Shaw Donkin, who was the acting governer of the Cape Colony, who founded the town and named it after his wife Elizabeth.
Donkin built the pyramid that forms part of the Donkin Reserve.
The lighthouse was constructed in 1861.
The Donkin Reserve today houses other artworks, a restaurant and an information centre.
Tours of the Reserve are available and may include a climb to the top of the lighthouse.