Afrikaans name: Robinsonpas
Robinson Pass was built between 1867 and 1869 by convicts under the leadership of Thomas Bain. In 1950 the pass had extensive renovations that included reconstruction and tarring.
The intention of the pass was to reduce the distance between Oudtshoorn and Mossel Bay by 50 km.
Robinson Pass was named after the Commissioner of Roads M.R. Robinson.
The pass rises to 840 metres above sea-level and offers beautiful views. Unfortunately the pass is often covered in mist preventing one from enjoying the views.
Above - Robinson Pass
Above - On top of the pass going towards Oudtshoorn
References and further readingConolly's Guide to Southern Africa - Author: Denis Conolly - Year Published: 1982 - Page: 99
Reader's Digest Illustrated Guide to Southern Africa - 4th edition - Author: - Year Published: 1986 - Page: 120
The Pictorial Motoring Atlas of South Africa - Author: Maxwell Leigh - Year Published: 1987 - Page: 47