Afrikaans name: Komga
Komga main street
The small town of Komga was estblished in 1877. It is located around 65 km north of East London. There is some debate as to the origin of the name but it is either something to do with the colour brown or a reference to the clay soil in the area.
The population of the town is around 8,000 people.
The area around Komga is mainly used for the production of beef.
The St. Pauls Anglican Church building has been declared as a national monument. It was completed and opened on the 13th June 1866.
The surrounding grasslands are a popular venue for bird-watchers.
Above - Main street through Komga
Above - St Pauls Anglican Church (1866)
Above - Komga
On Route - A region by region guide to South Africa - Author: B.P.J. Erasmus - Year Published: 1995 - Page: 286
Reader's Digest Illustrated Guide to Southern Africa - 4th edition - Author: - Year Published: 1986 - Page: 158
Southern Africa from the Highway - Author: AA RSA - Year Published: 1991 - Page: 201
The Pictorial Motoring Atlas of South Africa - Author: Maxwell Leigh - Year Published: 1987 - Page: 81