Afrikaans name: Willowmore
Willowmore was established in 1864 on a piece of a farm called The Willows which was owned by William Moore. Perhaps the combination of the farm and owners name lead to the town being called Willowmore.
A church and magistrates office were established in 1874.Accommodation in Willowmore
Although there are three rivers in the area they do not flow all year round, so the town relies on borehole water.
There are a number of Victorian and Edwardian style buildings in the town.
A number of plants, new to science, were discovered in the area by Rudolf Marloth in the early 1900's.
Above - Fine old building in Willowmore
Above - The Willow Historical Guest House
Above - Willowmore Verspreiders
References and further readingConolly's Guide to Southern Africa - Author: Denis Conolly - Year Published: 1982 - Page: 123
Country Life - Issue 244 - Author: - Year Published: 2016 - Page: 25
Country Life - Issue 252 - Author: - Year Published: 2017 - Page: 22
On Route - A region by region guide to South Africa - Author: B.P.J. Erasmus - Year Published: 1995 - Page: 295
Southern Africa from the Highway - Author: AA RSA - Year Published: 1991 - Page: 130
Things ewe never kn'ewe about South African place names - Author: Ann Gadd - Year Published: 2015 - Page: 220