Port Shepstone lighthouse
The Port Shepstone Lighthouse was built in 1905 and is painted in a black and white check pattern. It is a quaint structure that stands on the south bank of the Umzimkulu River where it spills into the Indian Ocean.
The light flashes every 6 seconds and is visible for up to 26 sea miles. When it was constructed Port Shepstone actually had an operational harbour.
The lighthouse is fully automatic and has it's own back up power generators in case the main electricity supply goes off. It is made of cast iron and has a circumference of 8 metres.