Afrikaans name: Hofmeyr
Hofmeyr main street
The town of Hofmeyr was founded in 1873 and was originally called Maraisburg. The name clashed with Maraisburg in Gauteng and so it was renamed Hofmeyr in 1911. The town is named after Jan Hendrik Hofmeyr who was a founder of the Afrikaans language.
Hofmeyr used to be the centre of a sheep farming industry but this has declined over the years. Today there are less than 4,000 people who call the town their home.
One claim to fame that Hofmeyr has is the "Hofmeyr skull" which was discovered in the area. The skull has been dated as being 36,000 years old which makes it the oldest modern skull found in South Africa.
One of the most interesting buildings is the Dutch Reformed Church which was built in 1931. The unusual feature of this church is that it is pained pink.
Above - Magistrate Offices, Hofmeyr
Above - Dutch Reformed Church (1931), Hofmeyr
References and further readingConolly's Guide to Southern Africa - Author: Denis Conolly - Year Published: 1982 - Page: 157
Country Life - Issue 244 - Author: - Year Published: 2016 - Page: 27
Country Life - Issue 252 - Author: - Year Published: 2017 - Page: 22
Country Life - Issue 252 - Author: - Year Published: 2017 - Page: 46
On Route - A region by region guide to South Africa - Author: B.P.J. Erasmus - Year Published: 1995 - Page: 277
Southern Africa from the Highway - Author: AA RSA - Year Published: 1991 - Page: 227